Read the Blog in Full

Read the Blog in full

Read the Blog in full
READ THE BLOG IN FULL

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Getting out of town fast. The move to Boston-Chapter 4


My first call to Tammy was from the corner payphone. There was no way I was going to risk being overheard by anyone in the house. 

George and Bill had begun fighting again, so I brought as much change as I could carry. I wasn't sure how long we were going to talk. If asked, I would tell her that's my house was to loud to talk in, so I was calling from the corner payphone.

Tammy answered on the third ring. For the first few minutes, I was a nervous wreck but after that, Tammy and I hit it off. She told me all about her ex-girlfriend, her softball team, her neighbors and the benefit of living in Watertown, just outside of Boston.

After about twenty minutes, Tammy announced "The room is yours if you want it." I was over the moon and I started to feel relieved. I had the chance for a new start. We discussed how much money I would need to move in and how much utilities would cost me on a monthly basis. I was giddy when I hung up.

The walk back to the house made me feel as if I was about to enter the castle of Dracula. Gloom and Doom hung in the air. George and Bill were sitting in the living room in the recliners.

George had his chair pushed back with his head resting on his chest. His hands were enter-twined. I smiled at Bill. Bill had a crazy look on his face. He nodded his head in the direction of the kitchen. It was clear he wanted me to walk fast and let George sleep. I nodded that I understood and tiptoed into the hall.

That's when I heard George speak "Uh Geoff?" He said. 

I froze in place.

"Can you come here a minute?" He asked. 

I paused and turned to head back into he living room. I could feel that something was not right.

I poked my head around the corner.

George was still in the same position that I had seen him in when I had tiptoed past, his eyes were still closed.

Bills eyes were opened wide. It was clear that he was telling me to run. A shiver ran down my spine.

Without opening his eyes George asked "How was your day?"

"Good," I mumbled.

"Did you have a good phone call?" He asked

"Why yes, as a matter of fact I did." I could feel sweat beading up on my upper lip.

"Good." He whispered. 

I went to take a step back but not before George said "So when are you planning on telling me that you're moving to Boston?"

to be continued…


Geoffrey Doig-Marx holds all written and electronic rights to his writing "A Day in the Life/Down the Rabbit Hole". It cannot be reprinted in part or whole without his written consent

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG IN FULL ORDER

BLOG IN FULL ORDER
BLOG IN FULL ORDER

Translate