Read the Blog in Full

Read the Blog in full

Read the Blog in full
READ THE BLOG IN FULL

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Getting out of town fast. The move to Boston-Chapter 5

I begin to hem and haw. Clearly the person who was listening in on my phone call, was George. I could feel the sweat beading up on my neck. 

Bill's eyes were wide and he was staring at me. It looked like he was trying to shake his head in a "No, no, don't answer him," manner. 

"Well if you leave, what about next months rent?" "Who's going to pay that?" George asked still not looking at me.

"But I might not be here," I stammered rocking from foot to foot.

"30 days notice is what we agreed on, anything less and you pay," George stated matter-of-factly. 

"But I......but you...." I was searching for the words.

Bill kept signaling with his head to me but I had no idea what he was trying to say.

"Ok, it's not 100 percent set as to what I am doing," I lied, stalling for time.

"Well, just remember that when you plan your move. A deal is a deal, especially one that you shook on." That's when George opened his eyes and turned his head to look at me.

"Ok." I said, sliding back into the hallway.

It was clear that I was screwed. I walked through the kitchen and headed into my room in the basement. George's trick was sitting on the toilet passed out with his pants around his ankles as I passed by.

"I have to get the fuck out of here!" I screamed in my head.

I was in full panic mode as I threw back the curtain to me room. I flopped on the bed holding back the tears. In a moment they began to silently roll down my face. 

"How had I gotten myself into such a state?" "I didn't have the money to pay George, move and give Tammy what she needed.

There was a knock on the wood outside my room. Bill pulled back the curtain and minced into the room.

"You are a stupid bitch," he said. With one hand on his hip and the other holding a cigarette, his trademark bathrobe was down around his shoulders like Gloria Swanson.

"He had no idea that you were moving to Boston." 

"Truth be told, he accidentally picked up the phone and heard just the end of your phone call the other day," Bill exhaled a huge amount of smoke into the air.

"He called you on a bluff and you hung yourself."

"Didn't you catch my signal to run?" Bill lifted the hem of his robe and sat on the bed.

"Girl, do you want a cigarette?" Asked Bill reaching into the pocket of his robe.

He pulled out a pack of Marlboro lights and shook one loose. 

"Girl, I bought these special for you. I know that they are your brand." "We sisters need to stick together."

I pulled out the cigarette and put it up to my lips. Bill pulled out his lighter and lit my cigarette with such dramatic flair that I choked on a laugh.

"I love you girl." Bill said holding up the lighter.

I actually hate being called girl by anyone. Not that it's a bad term, I'm just not a girl. I understand what Bill is saying. He had my back and would be there for me.

"I guess I now have to help you escape." Bill said standing. 

"I could use a drink.  Couldn't you?"

Bill didn't even wait for my answer before he threw back the curtain and headed out of my room. I followed quickly on his heels.

Bill paused as we passed the toilet. George's trick still was sitting on the bowl with his pants around his ankles. He was snoring lightly.

With one hand Bill reached out and pushed the handle on the toilet. This caused George's trick to jump up off the bowl and take two steps forward, before falling head first to the floor. 

Bill motioned for me to follow.


to be continued…


Geoffrey Doig-Marx holds all written and electronic rights to his writing "A Day in the Life/Down the Rabbit Hole". It cannot be reprinted in part or whole without his written consent

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG IN FULL ORDER

BLOG IN FULL ORDER
BLOG IN FULL ORDER

Translate