Read the Blog in Full

Read the Blog in full

Read the Blog in full
READ THE BLOG IN FULL

Friday, September 17, 2010

Hey! You! Get Out of My Way! Part 1

I love New York. Don’t get me wrong, I honestly love New York.   I think that I liked it better when it was scary and full of crime though.  It kept you on your toes.  Not to mention all the day to day drama. The looking over your shoulder to see who or what might be lurking in the shadows.  This was the 80’s, the fabulous 80’s.  Back when I had a Flock of Seagulls hairdo and people knew what Kajagoogoo meant.
Back then when someone was running towards you it was usually a sign that they were going to snatch your bag or stick a knife in you or worse. Now when someone is running towards you they are doing just that- running towards you and their shoes are probably worth more than your bag. When did jogging become such a big thing? When did working out become such a big thing?
My first apartment in New York was located in Redhook Brooklyn. This was one of the scariest neighborhoods that I have ever lived in. In the 80’s it was fun and scary. I had bleached blonde hair and wore all black. I modeled my look on one of the singers from Bananarama. My apartment was 36 blocks from the subway but one block from the projects. We shared the building with a taxi service. My roommate was a modern dancer, I almost never saw him though. He was always in his room and rarely come out and I mean rarely, every couple of days or so. I would often hear him moving around in his room but I would never see him.
I found the apartment through the Village Voice, back in the day when you could do that. It actually belonged to a friend of a friend of a friend, but I found the initial listing in the Voice. It was a small two bedroom with a kitchen and a bath, a park around the corner and plenty of homeless laying around on my stoop. I took it sight unseen. In those days we did that, you needed an apartment you took it. It was a busy neighborhood and I would see so many people just hanging around. People knew my name and would scream greetings to me out the window on my walk to the subway (along with other various phrases). Today, I have brown hair and wear all black and they just built a Target, but this was then.
I remember a time when you used to run across Times Square, weaving in and out of Hookers on the stroll. You would see dealers selling weed right out in the open and every now and then you would get ripped off and buy the occasional bag of oregano (so I hear). The peep shows had plenty of visitors going in and out of their doors and for 50 cents you could see a dandy show. Just yesterday, I became friends with Robin Byrd on Facebook. Now that’s progress.


To be continued………………
Geoffrey Doig-Marx holds all written and electronic rights to his writting "A Day in the Life". It can not be reprinted in part or whole without his written consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG IN FULL ORDER

BLOG IN FULL ORDER
BLOG IN FULL ORDER

Translate