Read the Blog in Full

Read the Blog in full

Read the Blog in full
READ THE BLOG IN FULL

Monday, March 21, 2011

Hey! You! Get Out of My Way! Part 1 Leaving Home

The year was 1979. I was a sophomore at Guilderland High School in upstate New York.  The problem that I was having was with my home life. I was having such difficult time living with my parents; actually my mother and I were not getting along at all. The arguments, the fights and the screaming had gotten so bad that they called the police one night and had me removed from their house.  The fights had gotten so out of control and my Mom’s burgeoning relationship with alcohol had also gotten out of control. It was like living in Hell. A hell that I no longer wanted to live in and a hell they didn’t want me to live in.
I’m not even sure what this fight was about. I was never really sure what any fight was about. I knew that she was upset that my father travelled a lot and she was in charge of everything. If we stepped out of the line that she established the shit would hit the fan and our father would be called. Everything turned into a fight and a contest of wills with her.  I had trouble understanding her logic and her rules. I felt that a lot of them were made up on the spot. It was like in a pressure cooker. I couldn’t take it and would lash back at her whenever she would lash out at us.  
My brothers and my sisters were living at home at the time and would see these fights. They would become the targets of these arguments after I left but none of them would stand up at least not until years later.
I needed to go because I felt like I was losing my mind. The funny thing that I remember about that night was that my mother was concerned that the neighbors would talk, even though she was the one who called the police.
I had little time to gather my things.  One of the cops entered our house and followed me into my bedroom. The other cop stood at the front door and waited for me.  I could see neighbors looking out at our house through their closed drapes, only pulling the sides to look out.  Some neighbors stood outside on their front lawns to get a better view.   
The cop car stood in our driveway. The lights on the top of their car were spinning but they had no sirens on.  It was a neighborhood wide show. Things like this never happened in Guilderland.
One of the cops held up the back door of the squad car and asked me to “Watch my head” getting in. I slid across the back seat of the squad car and the cops closed the door.  I could hear the door lock tight but I remember that there were no locks that I could see on the door.  I have never been more scared in my life.  “We have a place to take you tonight,” one of the officers said through the wire screen separating the seats.  I met his eyes in the rear view mirror.  He nodded his head at me and gave a smile. “You’re ok now,” he said and started the car.
The cops backed their car out of the driveway; I could see my parents faces illuminated in the lights of the squad car.  They stood in separate windows.
To be continued……………

Geoffrey Doig-Marx holds all written and electronic rights to his writting "A Day in the Life". It can not be reprinted in part or whole without his written consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG IN FULL ORDER

BLOG IN FULL ORDER
BLOG IN FULL ORDER

Translate

Feed Shark